[racket-dev] [racket] DrRacket needs work

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 27 17:45:15 EST 2011

On 11/27/2011 01:28 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Neil Toronto<neil.toronto at gmail.com>  wrote:
> Thanks for taking this on, Neil!

:)

> No no, that's just from back before we had alpha bitmaps. Please get rid of it!

Roger roger. Just loading them with 'png/alpha seems to work fine. Cool.

>> 2. What would you (or anyone) think of using Inkscape or another SVG
>> renderer as part of the build? Would it be better to not require it, and
>> just have anybody who changes the SVG sources re-run render-png.rkt?
>
> I think, at this point, better not to require it.

Gotcha. The rendered PNGs will be binaries in the repo.

> But we do need an svg library in Racket. If I were doing it I'd make
> something that loads an svg into a data structure that can be passed
> across places and have a separate "draw this svg into a dc" function
> (or maybe turn it into some other racket/draw thing, as appropriate).
> I guess this should go into racket/draw, too.

That would eventually be awesome, especially for using 2D game assets
developed in Illustrator or Inkscape. The dc interface would have to
have gradients and blurring first.

I'm not taking this one on right now. :)

Neil T

Posted on the dev mailing list.