[racket-dev] memory consumption (bug?) on Debian/kFreeBSD-i386

From: David Bremner (bremner at debian.org)
Date: Wed May 11 09:25:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 23:58:07 -0300, David Bremner <bremner at debian.org> wrote:

> I don't claim to understand all the implications yet, but the following
> patch seems to work, i.e. catching both SIGSEGV and SIGBUS with the same
> handler.

As a followup, I talked a bit more to the Debian/kFreeBSD developers and
my current understanding is that which signal (SIGBUS or SIGSEGV) is
received is determined by the version of libc the binary is run under.
So the most robust solution (from the narrow perspective of running on
different/upgraded kFreeBSD systems) is indeed to catch both signals.
One could of course do that for FreeBSD systems in general, but don't
know what the tradeoffs are.

David

Posted on the dev mailing list.