[racket-dev] Testing mode

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 28 11:22:31 EDT 2011

20 minutes ago, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> I was worried about situations where you had some code that had
> module toplevel code that starts up a long running process that
> shouldn't be run in test mode, so I wanted to cordon off that. I
> wasn't imagining anything as complicated as what Neil or Eli seem to
> want. (Seems like overkill to me.)

(Makes me happy then, that what I view as a simplification is good
enough to be considered an overkill...)

> I dislike Eli's proposal because I don't think it gets tests close
> to their functions with low syntactic overhead. For example...
>
> (define (f x) ...)
> (check-equal? (f 5) 10)
>
> ; 200 lines of more stuff
>
> (define (g x) ...)
> (check-equal? (g 7) 14)
> [...]

Since  you want `check-equal?' etc to be macros anyway, doing this is
easy.  A cheap way would be along the lines of:

  (define-syntax (with-testing e ...)
    (set! MAIN (let ([old MAIN]) (lambda _ (old) e ...))))

A more sophisticated thing would be something that scans the module.