[racket-dev] Strange problem with `check-docs' and `#:use-sources'

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 23 14:46:06 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> To really know what is going on, one has to trace thru the re-provides
> for each of these identifiers and match them up to the
> declare-exporting declarations.
>
> In the declaration below, you're essentially saying "any identifiers
> documented in this module should appear to come from the
> typed/scheme/base, typed/scheme, and typed-scheme modules, but they
> are really actually exported from one of the modules listed in the
> #:use-sources keyword" which means, to the documentation system that
> any module that re-exports an identifier from, say,
> typed-scheme/base-env/base-types-extra, will have its documentation
> attached to the docs in the file with the declare-exporting below and
> the docs system will then point userse to typed/scheme/base.
>
> I don't think that this is what you want, since you probably want to
> to point people to typed/racket.

That's not what's going on here, although you couldn't tell that from
my email.  That `declare-exporting' is in a subsection which only
documents `typed/scheme' etc, and not any of the actual forms in Typed
Racket.

> To know what the right answer is for the declare-exporting below, I'd
> have to know how typed/racket fits into the picture. In particular, is
> it re-exporting things from typed/scheme? Or from those helper modules
> you have listed? Or from some other place?

It's probably easier to just consider `typed/racket/base' and
`typed/scheme/base' here.  Both of them export identifiers from the
modules listed in the `declare-exporting' declaration. For example,
`with-handlers' is defined in `typed-scheme/base-env/prims'.

Here's what the documentation for `typed/racket/base' looks like:

@(defmodulelang* (typed/racket/base typed/racket)
                 #:use-sources
                    (typed-scheme/typed-scheme
                     typed-scheme/base-env/prims
                     typed-scheme/base-env/extra-procs
                     typed-scheme/base-env/base-types
                     typed-scheme/base-env/base-types-extra))

Also, I don't think this is a problem with the general setup of
documentation for Typed Racket.  In particular, the identifier
`define-type' is defined in the same module as `with-handlers', and it
gets handled properly by Scribble, by DrRacket, and by `check-docs'.
You can see this by searching for `define-type' in the documentation,
or for `U', which is defined in the same module as `->'.

Instead, I think the problem is that `with-handlers' and `->' are both
identifiers exported from `racket', and this is causing some sort of
confusion in the Scribble doc system, but I don't know exactly what,
and I'm therefore confused about how to try to fix it.  Of course, it
might be something totally different, also -- the vagaries of Scribble
linking are still opaque to me.