[racket-dev] Racket on Rockets

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 28 10:32:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was recently telling some people that I thought 'Ruby on Rails' was
> mostly an ORM plus a set of default dispatching rules with convenient
> ways of extending the defaults.

I agree, though I don't have much RoR experience. However, that isn't
where the action is in web frameworks these days. My opinion is that
it resides in two areas:

 1. "rich clients" -- that is, interfaces that use a lot of
Javascript. Here FRP within the browser and between the browser and
server would be a big win. Interesting to stuff to look at: Opa,
WebSharper, (and Javascript frameworks like backbone.js, and the Scala
reactive project, etc.)

 2. Scalable servers like https://github.com/jdegoes/blueeyes

Both could be addressed from Racket. I'm not convinced it really has
the computing horsepower to do a bang-up job for #2 (certainly it has
the abstractions) but then neither does Node.js and that doesn't stop
Node's extremely active supporters.

N.

Posted on the dev mailing list.