[racket-dev] mouse motion events in Linux

From: Stephan Houben (stephanh at planet.nl)
Date: Sun Jul 17 09:57:10 EDT 2011

Hi Matthew,

On 07/16/2011 10:31 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
 > Short answer: change pushed.

Thanks for picking this up.

I see you also removed GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK , which
means we will be again seeing more motion events than before.

Please note that GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK is really orthogonal to

The latter selects in which cases motion events should be sent
when a mouse button is pressed).

The former enables coalescing of motion events so that the application
doesn't see so many of them. GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK by itself
doesn't enable the sending of motion events.

See also:

(Apology if you knew all this already).

Note that this page states that if the motion events can be handled quickly (under 5 ms),
then not using  GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK may be preferable.
I guess most apps don't do anything with the motion events which is probably
quite fast indeed.

Posted on the dev mailing list.