[racket-dev] intro videos

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Jul 14 02:21:58 EDT 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Guillaume Marceau wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:29 AM, John Clements
> <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
>>  As a result, I've now added a preference to DrRacket called "enable automatic parentheses."
>
> On my machine, I get a pair when I press  ( or {, but not with [. I am
> seeing the intended behavior?

Desired, no. Expected, yes. Overriding [ is harder because of smart parentheses.  Yes, combining the paren-matching code with the smart-paren code is probably the right solution, and Robby suggested it to me. I just took a quick look at that code and it still looks pretty hairy.

> Do you intend to make closing ) ] and } skip over a closing
> parenthesis? What the right behavior should be in this case is a bit
> subtle, but it's worth getting it just right. You might what to
> inspect how Eclipse does it.

Is it worth getting it right? It would be nice, I agree. Eclipse's behavior seems downright inconsistent, to me; its behavior appears to depend on how quickly you type.

John