[racket-dev] server availability

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 13:33:46 EST 2011

On 1/21/2011 6:22 AM, Robby Findler wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Neil. Do you have any specific
> recommendations on how to avoid these problems?
>
> (Eli can comment more, but the current downtime is because the machine
> that runs planet (and a bunch of other services) was hacked and its
> operating system is being re-installed now. We're not sure when it
> will be back.)

Do you need any help on this? How are you planning on keeping the system
clean in the future, and do I need to worry about rootkits in the binary
Racket distributions?

Keeping a system up to date can be tricky; for "set it and forget it"
systems I tend to use the LTS version of Ubuntu with unattended-upgrades
and Ksplice for kernel security patches. There's no guarantee that you
won't be affected by a zero-day that way, but at least you can prevent
the system from falling behind on a critical update.
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/