[racket-dev] Git

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 7 16:31:48 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> 5 minutes ago, Stevie Strickland wrote:

>> > It might be more convenient to flip it -- clone git:plt first, and
>> > then add a remote for git:robby/plt, so operations go to the main
>> > repo by default and to your copy only when specifically requested
>> > (which happens when you move).
>>
>> Personally, I prefer the other way; that I only affect the main repo
>> when I explicitly say so (and thus really mean it).  This is
>> especially true when I'm doing branch juggling on my own repository,
>> so that I don't accidentally push new branches onto the main
>> repository.  It's easy to fix my repository if I screw up, but
>> things that hit the main repository are forever (or at least,
>> forever in its history somewhere).
>
> I should have clarified:
>
>  It might be more convenient for Robby to flip it
>
> This is following the same guess I have about how his working, where
> he only uses the private repo for machine switches.

I'm trying it the way Stevie is saying because I spend ~3 hours/day
(two 1.5 hour times) on the bus and I'm experimenting with switching
what I've done via robby/plt to home and to work. So if I continue
this way, switching will be the norm.

Also, in the short term, I think this'll force me to learn git, which
may or may not be a good thing.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.