[racket-dev] Git

From: Stevie Strickland (sstrickl at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 7 15:53:21 EST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> Yesterday, Robby Findler wrote:
>>
>> So I did this ("git" means "git.racket-lang.org" in my ssh setup as
>> I did things that way before Eli's recommendation changed)
>>
>>  git clone git:robby/plt
>>  git remote add plt git:plt
>
> It might be more convenient to flip it -- clone git:plt first, and
> then add a remote for git:robby/plt, so operations go to the main repo
> by default and to your copy only when specifically requested (which
> happens when you move).

Personally, I prefer the other way; that I only affect the main repo when I explicitly say so (and thus really mean it).  This is especially true when I'm doing branch juggling on my own repository, so that I don't accidentally push new branches onto the main repository.  It's easy to fix my repository if I screw up, but things that hit the main repository are forever (or at least, forever in its history somewhere).

Then again, I tend to work with larger, longer-lived branches than most people, so YMMV.

Stevie

Posted on the dev mailing list.