[racket-dev] Git

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:29:23 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>> It looks like you had 53 commits that were pushed to plt/master in a
>>> slightly modified form -- probably you had them locally, rebased a few
>>> commits from plt/master, then pushed them, and robby/plt never got
>>> updated to reflect the rebase.  The "Nothing to do" indicates those
>>> diffs are reflected in plt/master, so you probably don't need to worry
>>> about them.
>>>
>>> If you have gitk or gitg you can run them to check if master is the
>>> same revision as plt/master, or you can run "git log plt/master..HEAD"
>>> to see if you have any lingering commits.  But I think you don't.  In
>>> any event, you can resync robby/plt to what you currently have by
>>> running:
>>
>> git log plt/master..HEAD didn't print anything out.
>>
>> But I'm not quite understanding what this 53 message is saying to me
>> and I'd like to try.
>
> What you want to do is run gitk and/or git log on origin/master, which
> is where those 53 show up.  All you've run it on, I believe, is
> master, which is now a clone of plt/master, where those 53 commits
> have already been folded in to the rest of the history.

Ah. That actually makes sense! I feel a sense of progress. Thanks. :)

> If your goal is to figure out this git stuff, I'm happy to keep
> answering questions.  If your goal is, more immediately, to figure out
> if you need those 53 commits, open up read permissions to robby/plt
> and I (or someone) more familiar with the commands can check it out
> real quick.

How do I do that? I think I'd like to do that on general principle in
case it is useful down the road.

FWIW, I did a git push --force, so I'm not sure if I know how to get
back there or not.

And yes, my goal was to understand more of git, but I'm becoming
increasingly convinced that this particular question is probably a
waste of time.

I'm sure I'll be back in touch when I finish the change I'm working on
--- but hopefully just to thank you for giving me the tools to figure
out how to get my changes into the main tree....

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.