[racket-dev] Git

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 08:35:51 EST 2011

Thanks, Carl. I have tried that route in the past and I found that I
let robby/plt get too far out of sync with the tree. So I'm looking
for a workflow where, perhaps, what I do is create robby/plt only when
I want to move between machines and use it as a temporary storage
place (as Eli's email suggests). Does that sound workable to you?

Robby

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> Robby,
>
> In case this helps, I maintain a repository "cce/plt" separate from
> the regular "plt" one.  I keep it at whatever version I last found to
> work with my planet packages, etc., so I only have to update at my own
> pace, as well as my own branches for tinkering with the trunk.  That
> way my state is kept in a shared place, and backed up along with the
> rest of the PLT repositories, but nobody else has to be bothered by
> anything I do before I push back to the main repository.  (Which, git
> afficionados, is only "main" from a pragmatic standpoint.)  If you
> create robby/plt, you can share your work with yourself, but not
> trouble anyone else.
>
> Carl Eastlund
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks guys for the explanations. I'll study them -- I think I'm
>> missing some (probably simple) key piece of how git works internally
>> that would probably make this all obvious; hopefully these examples
>> will help me figure out what that piece is(!).
>>
>> When I wrote "main repo", of course, I meant the one where the rest of
>> the racket dev world sees the changes, intended to be a contrast with
>> "my laptop and my desktop" where I'll be
>> pushing/pulling/cloning/whatevering between before I'm ready for the
>> world to see. My apologies for offending your git terminology
>> sensibilities. And yes, Eli is right that I'd like to consider moving
>> between my machines to be the exception rather than the norm.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Robby
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Stefan Schmiedl <s at xss.de> wrote:

>>> Assumptions are fun :-)