[racket-dev] Git

From: Stefan Schmiedl (s at xss.de)
Date: Thu Jan 6 04:38:27 EST 2011

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:14:58 -0600
Stephen Bloch <sbloch at adelphi.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to move from one machine to another without pushing to the main repo. I know one way to do that is to use my own copy but it also seems like I should be able to just pick up
> > those changes and scp 'em over to some other machine and apply them
> > with git format-patch and git am. Anyone do that? Does it seem
> > advisable? (Any hints on how to do it?)

"There is no main repo" he mumbled, while changing the bit floating before
his face to 2. IOW the graph of git repositories is non-directional.

Assuming that you have your changes committed to the repository on machine A,
you could run the following on B:

	git clone me at A:repo-path

This should get you the contents of A onto B and also configure B to use
A as "origin", so that a "git push" on B would push the changes to A.
Also "git pull" now tracks the repo at A.

To get to the "main" repo, you could use

	git remote add main me at main-repo:repo-path

and then use "git pull main" and "git push main" to access that one.

From the repository's point of view, git clone is basically the same as
dragging and dropping the repository's folder in some fancy clicky-pointy
UI. You might still have different global settings on B than on A though,
like the email address you're using to tag your commits.

s.

Posted on the dev mailing list.