[racket-dev] Packaging

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 16:32:47 EST 2011

I am saying we should use something that is not called "version
number".  On the IRC list I have suggested -- without too much thought
behind it yet -- that we construct an "upgrade graph"; package
maintainers can specify which package can be thought of as an
automatic improvement on another, and some appropriate part of the
Planet mechanism can therefore follow a chain of these links to find
the best available candidate for a require.  That allows package
names, version numbers, and other string-based user-readable
package-identifying features to be uninterpreted, and written however
the maintainer wants.

Carl Eastlund

Posted on the dev mailing list.