[racket-dev] Racktest was: OMG the thread that will never die about testing

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 20 21:40:17 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 06:43 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
>>
>> One thing I would also like to be able to do, based on this
>> discussion, is make a rackunit/base library that has very minimal
>> dependencies and provides a minimal testing infrastructure. I'd be
>> happy with something like check-equal? only at the top-level, ish.
>>
>> Is that something that your changes would affect?
>
> You can already do that:
>
>  #lang racket
>  (require rackunit)
>  (test-equal? "fruit equivalence" 'apple 'orange)
>  (check-equal? 'apple 'orange)
>  (for ([fruit '(orange pear)])
>    (check-equal? fruit 'orange))
>
> How minimal do you need the dependencies to be?

Yes, I know. I have fixed bugs in that code. :)

No contracts is the obvious one for now. But I know Matthew also has
plans to redo some of the top-level only test suites in
collects/tests/racket and if this were available, he might use it
(altho I don't know that he would).

Something minimal could depend really only on equal?, io, some simple
macros, and functions I think, so it seems possible to depend only on
#%kernel, but probably that's too much work.

How difficult would just racket/base be?

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.