[racket-dev] drafting the v5.1 release announcement

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 15:49:37 EST 2011

I think there are a non-trival number of people who deal with snips to
process student submissions that it is worth an extra line or two
(that I've put in below)

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Here's a new draft that folds in the contributions so far --- all
> edited to varying degrees. I left out `racket/snip', because it seems
> relatively obscure.

> Racket version 5.1 is now available from
>
>  http://racket-lang.org/
>
> The most significant change in version 5.1 is a rewrite of the GUI
> library:
>
>  http://blog.racket-lang.org/2010/12/racket-version-5.html
>
> Unix/X users will see the biggest difference with this change, because
> DrRacket and all Racket GUI programs now take on the desktop theme for
> menus, buttons, and other GUI widgets.
>
> In the long run, Racket GUI programs on all platforms will improve as a
> result of the library rewrite. In the short run, beware that this first
> release of a new library will inevitably include a new set of bugs.
>
> Version 5.1 changes in more detail:
>
>  * The `racket/draw' library --- which implements the drawing half the
>   GUI toolkit --- can be used independent of the `racket/gui/base'
>   library and without a graphics display (e.g., without an X11
>   connection).

    (join to above para)
    Similarly, the racket/snip library --- which implements things
like images in student programs --- can be used independently from
racket/gui/base.