[racket-dev] drafting the v5.1 release announcement

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 13:08:53 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM, John Clements <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>
>> Let's get the ball rolling on the release announcement. Here are draft
>> bullets for the drawing and GUI libraries:
>
> I feel like we're missing the forest for the trees: there's a great big rewrite here, with many benefits.
>
> * PLT has completely rebuilt the graphical underpinning of Racket. The PLT
> packages now use idiomatic platform-specific libraries, and we've dumped
> more than 200K lines of C code. DrRacket is now faster, and better looking.
>
> No?

I think that you have the right idea John. I think that I'd write
something like this (the difference I want to make is "less stable"
and adding the link to the blog post; the other stuff is just random
words).

  * The most significant change in this release (and the most
significant change in Racket/PLT Scheme history) was a rewrite of the
low-level GUI library. While things are relatively stable, there are
likely to still be kinks to work out so this release is probably going
to be less stable than usual.

     See http://blog.racket-lang.org/2010/12/racket-version-5.html for
more details.

Robby