[racket-dev] call for ideas

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 9 03:47:37 EST 2011

An addition to my earlier post:

We're shifting to using Chef (opscode.com) for deployment to all our
production servers. Chef works like this:

 - you write recipes, which specify how to install and configure a
particular service (e.g. Racket)
 - for each type of machine you specify the recipes it includes
 - you tell Chef to deploy recipes to machines. It does all the remote
access and fiddling around

Combine this with VMs in the cloud and it makes sys admin *vastly*
easier. You take a base image that consists of Linux distro + chef
client, then run Chef to turn it into whatever type of machine you
want. You can add new machines in < 1 min of user time (though the
install typically takes ~10mins or more you don't need to be around
for that).

Hope that makes sense. I can explain in more detail.

N.