[racket-dev] Racket home page proposal [and 1 more messages]

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Dec 21 12:57:23 EST 2011

9 hours ago, Marijn wrote:

> On 20-12-11 21:28, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > | platform for language design and implementation.
> >
> > That means almost nothing to most people.  Even something like
> > "Racket is a Programmable Language" works better...  I don't think
> > that there's a way to make it clear in a short sentence, but if
> > there is, it should most definitely get included.
>
> Some while ago you and me talked on irc about a short one-sentence
> description of the racket package for Gentoo. IIRC the conclusion
> was that you weren't unhappy with me using:
>
> Racket is a general-purpose programming language with strong support
> for domain-specific languages.
>
> Maybe that is a good start to finally improve over just "Racket is a
> programming language.".

Yes, I forgot about that -- IMO it's definitely more approachable.

(And yes, the text that I was referring to is Asumu's replacement of
the "Racket is a Programming Language".)

> Since I'm talking, I might as well mention my personal opinion on
> the strong points of racket (besides the (non-)obvious ones of
> having advanced macros, first-class continuations and all that kind
> of stuff) since these might be worth mentioning on the front page:
> [...gui...] [...web-server...]

Yeah, including these things would be good, if someone can compose a
similarly short and understandable and not-too-buzz-wordy text out of
them.

Three hours ago, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> I agree that we need to go beyond 'Racket is a programming language'
> as cute as it may be.
>
> I am surprised Eli objected to your proposed sentence, because it is
> a good, solid one-sentence description.

I didn't -- I looked up that conversation, and at the end I said "That
sounds fine for a one liner".