[racket-dev] Racket home page proposal

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Dec 20 15:28:54 EST 2011

50 minutes ago, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
> At Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:45:26 -0500,
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > (c) I'd get rid of the "why racket" section -- I don't see anything
> > there that doesn't induce yawnage,
>
> I disagree. This paragraph advertizes our high-quality libraries and
> IDE. Both of these are great selling points, and our current website
> is silent about them.

I'm not opposed to having *some* "Why Racket?" text, just to the
particular text:

| open-source and free software programming language

Redundant: too long for just "free", and as Sam just said, everyone
knows that programming langugaes are free anyway.

| platform for language design and implementation.

That means almost nothing to most people.  Even something like "Racket
is a Programmable Language" works better...  I don't think that
there's a way to make it clear in a short sentence, but if there is,
it should most definitely get included.

| Based on over 15 years of research and practical experience,

*yawn*

| Racket ships with many libraries, an IDE, and a package distribution
| system.

That's the good part in the whole blurb.

> I also liked that the previous version of Asumu's design mentioned
> that Racket was both a functional and an OO language.

Yeah, that would work.  So a constructive suggestion: get rid of the
blah blah above, and instead add more features.  (While avoiding too
many buzzwords making it sound like a language features shopping
list.)