[racket-dev] Problem with latest nightly build

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 10:48:41 EDT 2011

I downloaded the latest nightly build to test a fix that Matthew pushed.
That fix (a refresh problem) worked, but when I tried to run some
numerically intensive things - like the test for the science collection - I
ran into problems. The science test hangs on the last differential equation
test - eventually it runs out of memory. Some other examples seg fault in
the garbage collector. I tried both 32 and 64 bit windows versions and they
both had the same symptoms. These all work fine in 5.1.2. I tried a nightly
build from yesterday (5.1.2.4) and one from this morning (5.1.3.1) and they
both had the problem.

Sorry I can't be more specific. You can require the science collection from
PLaneT - williams/science/science - and run science.test.ss. That one fails
every time for me by running out of memory eventually - I typically have
memory limited to 4096MB on a 64-bit build or 2048 on a 32-bit build. I also
tried some of the simulation examples that use the same differential
equation solver - they're in williams/simulation/simulation. For example,
model-2a.ss will sometime run fine and sometimes fail with a seg fault.
Another one that fails sometimes and runs others is interactions.ss in the
simulation collection.

Let me know if I can get you any other information on the problem.

Doug