[racket-dev] Downloading DrRacket for Mac is hard?

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 12 19:26:43 EDT 2011

> (1) My hunch is that most of our downloaders -- especially
> technically unsavy (what's the right word here?) people --
> download one and only one thing from us.

And I suspect this is precisely why FF makes Windows the default (as
Guillaume has shown us).  Everyone who's not on Windows is acutely
conscious of the fact that they are not, and knows what to do about
it.

I suspect it's a bit like how a driver of a diesel car is always aware
that they can get fuel at most stations, but they have to be careful
in choosing the right pump.  Here it's even safer, because the file
types are so different (.exe vs .zip vs ...) so the wrong platform's
file just won't "work" they expect and they'll notice it.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.