[racket-dev] Release Announcement for v5.1.2

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Aug 1 15:49:47 EDT 2011

40 minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > `with-type' sounds too specific to be broadly applicable.
>
> `with-type' allows embedding typed regions inside arbitrary other
> blocks of untyped code -- it's certainly generally applicable.

I know what it does -- I meant specific in terms of people who use it.
(It's also a question in general, since you might gain some cpu via
optimizations, but there's currently a sizable cost for the boundary.)

> > (And BTW, there *is* limited space for release notes -- otherwise
> > these discussions would never happen.)
>
> There's certainly limited space for the most prominent elements of
> the release notes.  But I think the right solution there is to pick
> some small number of items (say, 5) that are most significant, and
> highlight them.

Right -- and our release notes are roughly equivalent to these 5
items.

> Then much more can be included below that, and finally some
> information about minor changes (fixed bugs, for example).  The git
> release notes are an example of this style:
> http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/RelNotes-1.7.0.txt

The git process is very similar to what we do -- for the top items.
For the rest, they tend to keep more organized commit messages and/or
change logs that make generating such lists easier.

In any case, I have no opinion about a new format (at least not for
now), but discussing such changes should happen *after* this release
goes out.