[racket-dev] Release Announcement for v5.1.2

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 1 15:11:33 EDT 2011

At Mon, 1 Aug 2011 15:03:21 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> There's certainly limited space for the most prominent elements of the
> release notes.  But I think the right solution there is to pick some
> small number of items (say, 5) that are most significant, and
> highlight them.  Then much more can be included below that, and
> finally some information about minor changes (fixed bugs, for
> example).  The git release notes are an example of this style:
> http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/RelNotes-1.7.0.txt

My preference is that *release notes* in the docs/distribution have no
limit, but a *release announcement* includes highlights only.

Few parts of our distribution currently have release notes:

 http://docs.racket-lang.org/release/index.html

In some past cases, such as web server changes, I wished that we had
more release notes. Maybe we need more sections on that page, or maybe
the notes should be reorganized into one big set of notes.

Posted on the dev mailing list.