[racket-dev] Release Announcement for v5.1.2

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 1 13:39:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> About a minute ago, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
>> - Typed Racket now optimizes at the REPL and inside typed regions.
> This sounds too uninteresting for most users.

Have we run out of space for release notes?  This certainly isn't as
important as places, but I think we should err on the side of more
rather than less in the release notes.

>> - Typed Racket now provides a command-line static performance
>>   debugging tool.
> It is?  In any case, I'd prefer announcing it when the whole thing is
> ready, ...

Typed Racket does, in the release, provide exactly that.  Should it
not be announced because it will get better in the future?

>>   A DrRacket-based graphical version will be
>>   available in the next release.
> ... and avoid pre-announcements for future features.

The reason that we wanted to include this is that Vincent demo'd this
feature at RacketCon; the sentence clarifies for anyone who saw or
heard about this when it will be available, and that it isn't the
version of the feature provided in 5.1.2.

>> Unrelated to TR:
>> - A high-level interface to Racket's logging facilities is now
>>   available in `unstable/logging'.
> So far there were no announcements about anything in `unstable', and I
> like to keep it out of the very public announcements.  (Unrelated to
> posting about it privately as a process to consider moving things
> out.)

This is something that lots of people have asked for, and feedback
from them on the interface would be useful while it's still in
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.