[racket-dev] racket vs. scheme vs. clojure (as it appears to others)

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 29 12:38:24 EDT 2011

>>  "Scheme" is usually a liability when someone used it in school years ago (other than with HtDP).

Small anecdote: I had gone a small presentation at WPI about teaching
alternative concurrent programming models to undergraduates.  The
presenter wanted to explore teaching with channels and actors.  They
chose Google Go as the language to explore those models.  I raised the
question in the after-session: why not use Racket?  The presenter
responded with some shock: he had no idea Racket supported threads or
had channels.

The presenter had gone through a HtDP class, and was convinced that
BSL was all that Racket was about.  So I don't necessarily agree that
it's only the non-HtDP students who have a distorted understanding.

Posted on the dev mailing list.