[racket-dev] memory consumption (bug?) on Debian/kFreeBSD-i386

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 28 09:00:46 EDT 2011

Looking back at previous messages reminds me that you may be using
`--enable-cgcdefault'. Is that still the case? If so, the memory
problem makes sense, because conservative GC has problems at the scale
of `raco setup'.

To make 3m work right, "src/racket/gc2/sighand.c" needs a
__FreeBSD_kernel__ on line 128:

#if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__FreeBSD_kernel__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)

Does that avoid the bus error that you saw before?

At Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:47:52 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:48:51 -0600, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Do you have any process limits set? (My impression is memory is often
> > limited by default on FreeBSD systems.)
> >

> There was a limit of 512M on data segment size, which I raised to 2G, but it
> doesn't seem to change much. Resident set size slowly climbs to 3G as it
> starts to compile racklog, and then it crashes with
>
>        GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
>        Segmentation fault
>
> David

Posted on the dev mailing list.