From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 26 13:19:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Stevie Strickland
<sstrickl at racket-lang.org> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM,  <sstrickl at racket-lang.org> wrote:
>>> f5de8bd Stevie Strickland <sstrickl at racket-lang.org> 2011-04-26 12:57
>>> :

>>> :
>>>  R collects/slatex/{ => private}/slatex.rkt (100%)
>>>  M collects/slatex/README                       |    4 ++--
>>>  M collects/slatex/slatex-wrapper.rkt           |    2 +-
>>>  M collects/slatex/tests/test-docs-complete.rkt |    1 -
>>
>> Any reason not to just document it instead? This code has been
>> unchanging forever and I don't think we want to break old scripts
>> whimsically.
>
> I would imagine that any old scripts would be using the documented slatex-wrapper interface, especially since there's a lot of setup work done in that interface that would have to be duplicated otherwise.  Do we have reason to believe that people have been using the undocumented `slatex::process-main-tex-file' function instead?

I don't know of people who are, but I think that in situations like
these we should err on the side of not-breaking-code.

In this case, I would document this function as "roughly like the
@racketmodname[slatex] library function X, provided here for backwards
compatibility. New code should use X." or similar.

Is that any more difficult than what's been done?

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.