[racket-dev] racket 5.1 build failure on debian/kfreebsd

From: David Bremner (bremner at debian.org)
Date: Sun Apr 24 09:04:02 EDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:06:23 -0300, David Bremner <bremner at debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:32:18 -0600, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> > Besides some code-organization problems, my guess is that "sconfig.h"
> > doesn't figure out that you're on a FreeBSD variant. Do you know what
> > pre-processor definition should be detected, if it's not __FreeBSD__?
> >

> At a guess, I'd say __FreeBSD_kernel__

The attached patch does indeed allow compilation to finish.
There is a problem linking to pthreads

,----
| gcc -o racketcgc main.o  libracket.a libmzgc.a  -ldl -lm
| libracket.a(port.o): In function `start_green_thread_timer':
| /home/bremner/racket/src/racket/src/port.c:8937: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
| libracket.a(port.o): In function `kill_green_thread_timer':
| /home/bremner/racket/src/racket/src/port.c:8956: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
`----

I can work around this by "configure --enable-pthread", but I suspect
the right fix is to add a stanza for GNU/kFreeBSD to src/configure.
I'm a little baffled how this file is maintained, though. Is there a
corresponding configure.ac somewhere?

All the best

David

P.S. with --enable pthread racket3m bus errors out, but one problem at a
time.