[racket-dev] exact nonnegative integers as sequences?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 18 09:58:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:34:34 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
>> FWIW, I don't like that any of these 'in-*' thigns are optional. I was
>> recently reading over a script that was used to build web pages from
>> the output of testing runs for my compilers class and there were
>> several nested for loops without in-* thingies and it was painfully
>> difficult for me to reconstruct what the contracts of the functions
>> were because of that.
>
> Was the contract just "sequence", or did the values that were used as
> sequences in `for' also flow to places with more specific contracts?

These were not generic. The program didn't work unless the input was
an sexp with a particular structure (a table mapping names to outputs
and outputs and names were something specific too).

> (We probably agree that generic programming is good, so I'm trying to
> understand why it seemed counterproductive in your example.)

I agree about generic programming a general sense, but I'm not sure
about generic programming in this particular place: do you think that
there are many for loops out there there is no specific 'in-*' to put
in there? (And if there were, maybe it would be better to use a
keyword to say that explicitly?)

Matthias even says this implicitly in his message: I doubt he lets
lists be bound to "N" for example. So I don't think that this is about
generic programming.

I also don't buy Sam's implicit argument for my example. If I had
tried to port this to code to typed racket to just read off the types,
I would have spent far longer as debugging via TR's error messages is
going to be less productive than debugging via tracing the flow of
values in the program.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.