[racket-dev] racket-5.1{, .0.6} not building foreign interface not supported

From: Marijn (hkBst at gentoo.org)
Date: Wed Apr 13 05:54:44 EDT 2011

Dear Matthew,

On 04/11/11 04:08, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I've made `--disable-foreign' work again, at least for plain `racket'.
>
> Just to be clear:
>
>  * GRacket no longer works without the FFI (so the `--enable-gracket'
>    and `--disable-foreign' combination in your build log isn't useful).
>
>  * The `--disable-foreign' option may eventually disappear completely.

Thanks for the clarification, I think that I will not export this option
any more and just have it enabled.

> Meanwhile, `configure' now detects when libffi is already installed and
> uses it (instead of building the version that is included with Racket).

I am now able to build with the bundled libffi, but when I delete that
from the source and try to build it doesn't find the system library:

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=native -ggdb -O2 -pipe -DMZ_DONT_USE_JIT
-DMZ_USES_SHARED_LIB -I./../racket -I./../racket/include
-I./../racket/src -Ilibffi/include -c ./foreign.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/foreign.o
./foreign.c:73:17: error: ffi.h: No such file or directory

libffi uses pkgconfig but I'd have to check up on how to use that again

Marijn