[racket-dev] Racket documentation

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Sep 22 06:42:54 EDT 2010

And also, the wiki software kinda blew in many ways.

One of the biggest ways was a small thing with, I think, big
implications: the software would by default add an attribution line for
each edit, encouraging people to view the page as a dumbed-down Web
commenting forum to append a comment to, rather than as a coherent
document to refine holistically.

Also, depersonalization can be good: when there are no authorship names
at all on a page, some people will have less resistance to making
improvements.  This also removes some of the incentive to contribute for
some people, which can cost the document some good contributions but
also scare off some low-quality contributions (see, as cautionary tale:
Java sites).  I think that removing incentive alone is not a net loss,
and that depersonalization overall is a big net win.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/