From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Sep 14 10:23:40 EDT 2010

On Sep 14, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > Right -- this is why I suggested a simple extension: allow tools
> > to change the default values.  Without that, the current situation
> > is creating more implicit dependencies such as this commit.
>
> Do you think that this is needed if my suggestion (made earlier,
> namely to have "#lang" line-specific settings that can be augmented
> by user's preferences) is done?

Of course not -- it would also mean that there's no need to leak stuff
along the wrong side of the dependency.

> > Not too related: the reason that I need to actually change the
> > preferences is that students already had the (lacking) default in
> > their preferences.  One way to solve that would be to record in
> > the preference only the divergence from the default -- what you
> > added and what you removed -- so changing the default will
> > propagate as needed.  But this is a UI problem (if you click "OK"
> > -- does that mean that you want the current set and nothing
> > else?), and a better solution would be a "restore defaults"
> > button.
>
> There is a restore defaults button, but it is global.

Yeah, that's the problem -- a global restore is almost the same as
nuking your preferences...  Could actually be implemented that way.
Because I like some of my preferences, I'd never use it, to avoid
losing everything.