[racket-dev] Shared-instantiation modules

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 23:17:47 EDT 2010

On Sep 10, Robby Findler wrote:
> FWIW, this is one path that tools can use to circumvent DrRacket's
> property (well, the property we work towards anyways) that no program
> can cause DrRacket itself to crash or freeze. So if you do provide
> things to the user's program in this manner, please try to keep that
> invariant in mind.

Actually, for John's case I think that what he really needs is to be
able to break more than just drracket...  There was a plan at some
point to have a single process-global hash table which he'd be able to
use for cases where some external resource is concerned -- and this
sounds like what is really needed here.  For example, he'll need it if
he wants to make sounds at syntax time.  [This is also related to some
huge and bloody flamewar on c.l.s a few years ago, re the ability to
implement IO buffering in racket.]

This should be available as an unsafe feature, of course.