[racket-dev] typed/scheme n00b question

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 5 10:41:01 EDT 2010

There are two views in the exception world:

 -- annotate the return type with all possible exceptions
	(Java does this and is the most popular language that does so)

 -- consider exception to be implicit effects
	(ML created and pushed this variant for three decades)

PLT Scheme went with the second option (as an untyped language) from the beginning. Typed Racket {Scheme} mirrors this decision.

Since the fail-thunk isn't expected to return anything, I would assume that (almost) all calls to file-or-directory-modify-seconds get away with

 (-> Void)

as the type for the fail thunk.

Other than that, the function can take 1, 2, or 3 arguments I would expect Sam to use some case-lambda type for the function overall.

-- Matthias