[racket-dev] try the GRacket2 branch

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 28 15:09:28 EDT 2010

Two minutes ago, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 01:05 PM, Casey Klein wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> >> More immediately, it's time for you to try out the "gr2" branch for
> >> everyday work.
> > In case there's anyone else who wants to try but (somehow) knows even
> > less about git than I do, here's what I did to checkout the branch.
> >
> > $ git clone git at git.racket-lang.org:plt gr2
> > $ git branch gr2 origin/gr2
> > $ git checkout gr2
> >
> > It seems to have worked, but there may be a more git-savvy way to do it.
> You should be able to do just
> $ git clone ...
> $ git checkout gr2

Yes -- and the first time that you do that, it will tell you that the
local `gr2' branch is set up to track the remote one.  The thing is
that git can deal with arbitrary branch names -- so it tells you that
this particular checkout created a local branch that tracks the remote
(so in the future when you do a `pull' on that branch it will get it
from the remote).  This is in contrast to Jon's confusion, where he
created a `gr2' branch that was unrelated to the remote one.