[racket-dev] [plt] Push #21356: gr2 branch updated

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 27 16:27:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>> mflatt has updated `gr2' from 5633895cf0 to 2b2de4ece6.
>>>  http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/5633895cf0..2b2de4ece6
>>
>> So, I see from this commit that you're planning to move the version
>> number to 5.5.  I think this is a mistake.  We've been trying to be
>> more "conventional" in our project managment, and I think we should
>> stick with just incrementing the version.  There's no reason that 5.1
>> can't be a significant improvement over 5.0, and skipping versions
>> just adds potential for confusion.
>>
>> Other than that, yay for GR2!
>
> Matthew and I did talk about this briefly and it seems like this is
> more than +0.1, but less than a +1.0 change to the version number.

The "+0.1" and "+1.0" are not quantities, just ordered uniquifiers.
Unless we break backwards compatibility or essentially establish a new
language like we did with 4.0 and 5.0, I see no reason to skip minor
version numbers.  To me, version increments are +0.0.1, +0.1, or +1;
there's not a whole lot of call for jumping by 2s or 5s or whatever.
If we do want an intermediate state, just add another digit in the
middle.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.