[racket-dev] [plt] Push #21356: gr2 branch updated

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 27 16:27:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>> mflatt has updated `gr2' from 5633895cf0 to 2b2de4ece6.
>>>  http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/5633895cf0..2b2de4ece6
>> So, I see from this commit that you're planning to move the version
>> number to 5.5.  I think this is a mistake.  We've been trying to be
>> more "conventional" in our project managment, and I think we should
>> stick with just incrementing the version.  There's no reason that 5.1
>> can't be a significant improvement over 5.0, and skipping versions
>> just adds potential for confusion.
>> Other than that, yay for GR2!
> Matthew and I did talk about this briefly and it seems like this is
> more than +0.1, but less than a +1.0 change to the version number.

The "+0.1" and "+1.0" are not quantities, just ordered uniquifiers.
Unless we break backwards compatibility or essentially establish a new
language like we did with 4.0 and 5.0, I see no reason to skip minor
version numbers.  To me, version increments are +0.0.1, +0.1, or +1;
there's not a whole lot of call for jumping by 2s or 5s or whatever.
If we do want an intermediate state, just add another digit in the

Posted on the dev mailing list.