[racket-dev] building docs, compile collects

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 25 17:05:18 EDT 2010

On 10/25/2010 02:54 PM, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> I would like on-demand compilation of the collects tree. It seems there
> are two reasons why it doesn't exist right now
> 1. building the documentation requires the collects tree to be touched,
> so its worthwhile to just compile everything in there
> 2. users might not have write access to the collects tree
>
> I use docs.racket-lang.org almost exclusively (because its simpler for
> me to open) so I'm not too concerned with 1. There are rare times when I
> need local docs and in those cases I don't mind building all of
> collects. And as a developer 2. is not much of a concern.
>
> I imagine some configure switch would allow the compilation manager to
> assume write access to the collects tree thus solving issue 2 and a new
> `make' install target that only copies the binaries to bin/ would solve 1.

Try "make plain-install". It only copies "racket" and "gracket"; it
doesn't create scripts like "raco", so it's best to use it after you've
already done one "make install".

There's also "raco setup -D" (ie, no docs), which I find very useful.

Ryan

PS - The CM (compilation manager) Robby mentioned is documented under
the compiler/cm library.