[racket-dev] Possible build platform for ARM

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Oct 7 15:47:16 EDT 2010

I've found "qemu" to be a godsend for systems work, though very slow
compared to real metal, unless you're using virtualization extensions
like KVM.  I don't know how ARM "qemu" hosted on fast non-ARM hardware
compares to native on typical ARM hardware, but I'm not too optimistic
about that until someone has numbers.

For testing, I think you need not just the target processor but also
various OS and chipset/firmware stuff.  And you still need to test on
the real target device at least some of the time, since there are
probably quirks, from which the OS might not insulate you.

If you really want to use the Racket collections builds as part of the
testing process of Racket, maybe do your frequent Racket builds on big
ARM boards or using an emulator on huge hardware, and only occasionally
check it against a day-long build running on the real target device.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/