[plt-dev] Revised git intro text

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 7 14:03:45 EDT 2010

On May  7, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Unlike SVN, git commits only work wholesale: In SVN, you can commit
> to a bunch of files as long as *those files* are up to date, even if
> the rest of the tree isn't - in this case, the commit refers to the
> latest version on the server, unlike git, where the commit refers to
> the latest version the developer has.  So, with git, if you have
> many developers, you can get "merge churn" where you have to merge
> repeatedly (and idefinitely) to get your own commits in.  That's why
> big projects are pull-based with designated integrators who push to
> the "main repository".

Ah, yes, I did consider that too.  If we get there, then a quick
temporary solution is simple: just cut down the number of people with
access to the repository, and have others pipe in commits through
them.  For a systematic solution, there are also a number of tools
(like gerrit) that will run merges on the server, and that would work
as longer term solution.  In any case this is all a theoretical
problem at this point.