[plt-dev] Revised git intro text

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 7 08:06:37 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Michael Sperber <sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Thanks - this helps considerably.
>
> However, it's long on technical information on how one could work with
> git, and short on policy, i.e. how you want us to use git for PLT.
> Immediate questions:

Fortunately, these are questions that Eli has talked about with people already.

> - Should we merge or rebase?

Feel free to rebase your local changes, but the server rejects history
modifications of anything that's been pushed.

> - Should we push directly to origin/master, or somewhere else, and you
>  do the pulling?  (Push doesn't scale indefinitely.)

Everyone pushes to `origin/master', just as with SVN.

> - For longer-lived branches that we want others to see, do you want us
>  to use named branches within the main repo, or user repositories?

Eli wants us to use repositories under usr, via the `fork' command.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.