[plt-dev] Re: [plt-bug] all/10895: quasiquote printing is buggy, confusing

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu May 6 12:35:18 EDT 2010

I've pushed a partial implementation; the documentation is not yet
updated, and the Scribble value printer isn't yet converted.

Try some examples and/or look at "collects/tests/racket/print.rktl".
Does this style seem ok?

Since there's no unquoting, we could print salf-quoting vectors, boxes,
and hash tables without a quote; I made the printer include the quote,
anyway, because it felt more consistent. Booleans, numbers, characters,
strings, byte strings, and regexps print without a quote, though.

At Wed, 5 May 2010 19:56:32 -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Wed, 5 May 2010 12:55:47 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > > Perhaps our printer should use constructor-style printing until it
> > > gets down to a quotable datum, at which point it can use regular
> > > quote?  Then s-expressions print simply, Redex output will look like
> > > programs, but interleaved s-expressions, structures, and other
> > > un-quotable data will not be a mess of backticks and commas.  This
> > > goes back somewhat on my previous statement about different
> > > representations of lists in one kind of output, but I think it may be
> > > a more manageable kind of switch in that it won't go back and forth,
> > > quote will always be only at the leaves.
> >
> > This sounds worth a try to me.
>
> Ok, I'll try it.

Posted on the dev mailing list.