[plt-dev] IDE and completion

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue May 4 17:05:14 EDT 2010

> For professional programmers, it was unbearable. We found it is
> impossible to resist typing the "([" after typing LETREC. Old habits
> die hard, so we took the entire feature out.

There's a simple solution to this, which we did in the prototype
WeScheme editor we built last summer, and which I noticed Eclipse does
too: if you type ([, and that's already in the buffer, the editor just
moves over the characters (ie, it's like hitting "right-arrow until
you're past the parenthetical character you typed").  Works great.

It obeys an important principle, which is that a person who knows the
syntax and is comfortable just typing it can continue to do so using
muscle memory.  This way they get the best of both worlds.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.