[racket-dev] raco setup vs setup-plt

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 21 18:14:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Jun 21, Robby Findler wrote:
>> line, instead of .plt files.
>>
>> (You can specify .plt files with the (new) -A flag, the old -l flag
>> still works fine, and setup-plt should still behave the old way.)
>
> I also disliked the confusion between the two modes.  Also, I think
> that it would be better to have some new `raco install <plt-file>'
> instead of a command line argument.

As I did this, I realized that the two of these things were more
entangled for a somewhat reasonable reason, namely when you install a
.plt file, it actually triggers the whole "setup-plt" shebang for the
newly installed collections.

I did think a little bit about pulling out the installation feature of
a .plt file and combining it with the current "raco planet open" and
"raco planet structure" commands in a single "raco plt" command, but
ran out of steam. If you have the energy, that'd be welcome.

> (setup-plt should be left alone because it has been the drag-and-drop
> target for installing plt files in the past, and probably still is in
> the Windows suffix associations.)

Agreed.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.