[racket-dev] Fwd: [shootout-Feature Requests][312552] Scheme PLT should be renamed to Racket

From: Vincent St-Amour (stamourv at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 18 09:26:38 EDT 2010

At Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:18:14 -0400,
Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> I submitted a request to the computer language shootout to rename PLT
> to Racket.  The following message shows the difference in performance
> between 4.2.5 and 5.0 - it's probably worth taking a look at the
> discrepancies.

The discepancies are on the mandelbrot benchmark. The same
discrepancies can be observed between different runs of the benchmark
on 5.0, even using the same compiled bytecode of the benchmark; about
10-20% of the time, for no apparent reason, that benchmark would take
twice as long as usual. I observed this random behavior on 5.0, but I
don't know if it appeared on 4.2.5 as well.

That random behavior seems to be linked to the use of safe flonum
operations (fl+ and co.) since changing the benchmark to use either
generic arithmetic operations or unsafe float operations makes the
running times of the benchmark consistent. I told Matthew about that.

I've been working on typed versions of these benchmarks, and some are
faster than the untyped versions (including the mandelbrot benchmark,
whose typed version is ~30% faster and does not show the random
behavior discussed above). I'll push them later today, and some could
be worth using on the shootout.

Vincent

Posted on the dev mailing list.