[racket-dev] update on reimplementing GRacket

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 12 21:43:09 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> My last update was back in January:
>
>  http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev/archive/2010-January/002045.html
>
> GRacket2 wasn't done by May, obviously. I still like to think that we
> could have something working within a few months, though.
>
> The Racket switch contributed to the delay, but eventspace issues were
> less easy to solve than I had hoped. In particular, using multiple OS
> threads doesn't help; it turns out that modern GUI toolboxes provide
> even less support for multiple threads than old toolboxes. I have to
> stick with my old bag of complicated tricks.

A few questions:

First, do the difficulties you've had integrating eventspaces with
modern toolkits suggest that perhaps eventspaces should be designed
differently?

Second, how much will the distinction between gracket and racket exist
once gracket2 is implemented?  Will there still be a concept of a "gui
namespace", for example?

Third, to what degree will the underlying toolkit be exposed in a
gracket-compatible way?  For example, will it be possible to use
gtk-specific methods to implement custom dialogs on X?
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.