[racket-dev] web page text

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 7 16:56:04 EDT 2010

At Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:57:56 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> Right now, the main Racket web page says just "Racket is a programming
> language".  Even though we didn't come to an agreement on great text
> to put there, I think just about anything would be better than that.
> What about just using the line from the old web page: "Racket is an
> innovative programming language that builds on a rich academic and
> practical tradition"?

Between those options, I still prefer "Racket is a programming
language", but I'd be happier with something better.

Isn't every decent, modern language built on an academic and practical
tradition? I'm not saying that I can do any better in one sentence. In
fact, I think we should use that space on the page for a vacuous
statement, but one that's short, catchy, and slogan-like --- more
blatantly content-free to move the reader along.

"Racket is a programming language" clarifies that the page is about a
programming language without getting in the way of the rest of the
page's sales pitch. A slogan could do the same job and would look more
natural than a simple statement of fact. A sentence in the style of a
paper abstract looks more traditional, but to me it too directly
exposes us for the advertising novices that we are.

I'll accept the result if I'm outvoted, but there's my rationale.

Posted on the dev mailing list.