[racket-dev] P4P: A Syntax Proposal

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 29 13:19:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Everett <webj2 at unoc.net> wrote:
> I've always thought the problem was the parens.

I don't believe this.  If the parens were the problem, then why didn't
M-expressions gain popularity?  Why didn't CGOL?  Why didn't Dylan?
Why hasn't *any* alternative syntax helped? (Honu, anyone?)

And why aren't parens a problem in C:

          if (unlikely(!access_ok(VERIFY_READ, iocbpp, (nr*sizeof(*iocbpp)))))
                return -EFAULT;

or Java?

        private static void defCategory(String name,
                                        final int typeMask) {
            map.put(name, new CharPropertyFactory() {
                    CharProperty make() { return new Category(typeMask);}});
        }

--
~jrm