[racket-dev] P4P: A Syntax Proposal

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 16:23:41 EDT 2010

> Is the audience HtDP students/teachers, professional programmers,
> hobbyists, someone else, or all of the above?

People new to Racket, whether students or developers.

> And, if the audience includes HtDP students/teachers, would all the
> HtDP examples be revised to use P4P?

It's way too early to speculate on such things.  P4P has only existed
for a week (though, according to Jay, Honu does everything in P4P,
which means it's been dormant for years).  For now it's purely in
"highly experimental" state, though some ambitious people may be
willing to experiment with it.

>  Or would P4P be something to point to,
> like, "Hey, students have to use the academic parentheses in the student
> languages, but Racket is not just an academic (i.e., parentheses) language
> once students graduate."

No; to the contrary, I want to offer this to students.  Student code
has pretty serious visual structure problems.  The presence of
indentation sensitivity is no accident.  That's what I originally set
out to do.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.