[racket-dev] P4P: A Syntax Proposal

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 16:19:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> At first I thought, how is this different than Honu?

I don't know anything about Honu.  As far as I can tell it's the great
undead language of the Racket world.  If Honu's already solved the
problem and is being actively used, great, I can stop!  I didn't know
Honu enforced indentation -- when did it start doing so?

-----

The keywords aren't adhoc.  defar, defconst, defstruct are something
we're actively discussing.  The colons are there for reasons the
document states.  begin -> do is an intentional variation but open to
change.  elif and else have no Racket counterpart.

Ultimately, this is not purely a brain-dead macro: it is also an
exercise in syntax design (eg, indentation).

-----

I now have {} enforcement for do: as well.  Re. :, do you mean that I
should ensure regular identifiers don't have trailing :'s?  I worry
that this will not play well with interoperating with Racket, which is
a desirable goal.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.